Friday, May 2, 2014

A Reflection of Peace


This is a picture of a reflection in my pond.  So peaceful!


Today was not that peaceful!  I have been on my feet at school all day.  I started with my Art class at 8:45 and, with the exception of time in the library with my Creative Writing class, I spent most of the rest of it in the gym, helping to hang our annual Art Show.  I left school at 5:30, made a quick trip to Walmart (it actually was quick this time) and headed home.  After a little time outside and a while on my feet in the kitchen, I finally sat down around 9:00 this evening!

My legs were throbbing, I had a cramp in my foot that just would not go away, and I was just plain worn out!  I tried a heating pad on my foot, took some Ibuprofin, and just tried to relax, but it didn't seem to be working.  Then I remembered - we have a hot tub!  A hand-me-down from a friend, but it works.  It seems crazy that I would have forgotten that I have a warm, churning tub of relaxation available to me at any time.

After a few moments in the hot tub, I was able to go in and lay down.  I am still worn out, but my muscle are throbbing a little less.  More than I can say for my head and my heart.  

There are some days that I feel like I have the weight of the world on my heart.  This has been one of those days.  There are some things going on in my life that feel so incredibly heavy.  On top of those things, I have four tween to teenagers, and the stuff never quits!  Good kids, but kids nevertheless!  I have tried thinking about other things.  I have tried worrying (one might think this is my favorite pastime).  I have tried figuring it all out.  These things never seem to work.  Then I remember - I have the peace that passes all understanding - I have God!

I really hate to hear people say that God never gives us more than we can handle.  The Bible does say that He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear without offering us a way out (1 Corinthians 10:13), but he often places us in the midst of difficulties and trials that we cannot handle without His intervention.  In 2 Corinthians 12:9, God says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  How could I have forgotten that I have a tower of strength and power available to me at any time?

I may not have had a peaceful day, but just a few moments of resting and trusting in him, and my heart and mind feel just like that photo above - a reflection of peace.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7



No comments:

Post a Comment