Saturday, May 3, 2014

Life lessons I Learned In the Garden

Lesson #4 - Don't Leave the Gate Open

Life on the Funny Farm is full of exciting things and big disappointments.  Our exciting thing today was the arrival of the pigs!  They are finally here!


I am not sure how this is going to work out.  Their pen is right next to my garden and I have a feeling that the smell is not going to be pleasant!


My big disappointment came this afternoon when I came home to find that I had not secured my garden gate.  One of my chickens found her way through the opening, and alas, my Baby Leaf Spinach is no more!  I was really looking forward to harvesting some of that spinach in another week, but I guess my little red hen beat me to it.

I may have learned my lesson about setting boundaries, but boundaries are of no use if the gate is left open.  Unfortunately, now that the boundary has been set, the off limits area seems even more attractive.  It only takes one small crack for my chickens to slip in and create a disaster!

I am trying to be conscious of this very thing in my life as well.  Once boundaries are set, I must be careful to guard them closely.  One breach of a boundary could leave me feeling invaded or worse.  Whether it is my expectation of respect from my students, or uninterrupted quiet time between my God and myself, I need to be clear about my boundaries with others, and I need to be consistent.  When I protect sacred places and times in my life, I am sure to harvest the blessings in due time!


Your threshing shall last to the time of the grape harvest, and the grape harvest shall last to the time for sowing. And you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land securely.

Leviticus 26:5




No comments:

Post a Comment