Thursday, May 15, 2014

Different Eyes

We had a delightful group of homeschoolers at Cornercopia today for our first ever Farm Day.  They seemed to have a lot of fun and we really enjoyed sharing our animals and our yard.  The moms seemed to enjoy it just as much as the kids.  A couple of them even said to me, "I love your place, this is just what I want."

I had to giggle in my surprise.  It's not that I don't appreciate our little funny farm, I just never thought someone else would appreciate it like I do.  Often, when people are coming to visit, I look around and try to see what they will see.  It is usually then that I notice all of the things that we have yet to do.  I focus on the unfinished projects, the messes, the broken things.  But today - today I saw our home through different eyes.

It's easy to dream about what I do not have.  It's typical to wish for more.  Lately, though, I have felt God calling me to be content.  It is not that He doesn't want me to dream, but it is a slippery slope when I begin to spend more time thinking about what is missing than I do expressing gratitude for the blessings in my life.  We have a long way to go in the building of Cornercopia, but today, thanks to the sweet women visiting, I saw just how far we have come!

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philipians 4:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment