Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mother Hen



Do you see what I see?  Look closely, right underneath Roadrunner's wing!



Even though I knew she wouldn't like it, I crept into her coop to get a closer look.  She clucked at me with her low warning sounds.  Roadrunner trusts us to care for and feed her, but she will protect those babies even from us. 

guess this is why the image of a mother hen comes to mind when we mothers feel protective of our kids.  Even when dealing with someone we normally trust, it only takes a hint of danger to our brood (physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually) to get our feathers ruffled.  If I had stepped any closer to Roadrunner and her chicks, or dared reach out my hand, she wouldn't have hesitated to peck me with her sharp beak.  And I can't say that I would blame her.  My motherly instincts can sometimes cause me to attack in defense as well.

It is a godly trait to protect my children, but I must be careful that I don't take that too far!  Just today, I lashed out in defense and already regret some of my words.  Even though I feel justified in my efforts to protect my young, that is never an excuse to be careless with my words. 


After a few moments, Roadrunner did let her chicks out to forage, but she never took her eye off of me!  We moms know that we have to let them out from under our wing at some time or another, but we will always be the mother hen!

He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
Psalm 91:4

No comments:

Post a Comment