Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Pain

As I said goodnight to my oldest child tonight, I reminded him that, in about a half an hour, seventeen years ago, he woke me up with a very awful pain!  My back labor began at midnight and didn't stop until I had an epidural.  Carter wasn't born until my c-section at 5:45 PM the next evening!

It really is amazing how I can remember all the details of that event with certain clarity, but I cannot conjure up the feeling of the pain I experienced.  As a matter of fact, I remember the story quite fondly. How is it possible that the most (physically) painful experience of my life could be one of my most favorite memories?  I'm sure it has something to do with the prize at the end - my baby!  But I also think that the idea of coming through such a difficult experience and surviving, and recovering, makes the whole ordeal something I want to talk about.  Perhaps that is why most women like to share their labor stories.

Just like a group of moms at a baby shower, I also like to share other painful experiences I have had with others going through something similar.  I have endured some other things that have been the most (emotionally) painful experiences of my life.  When I come upon someone going through a difficult time, I tell them bits of my story so that they know that they are not alone.  The best part of that storytelling though, is sharing how I survived and recovered!  When I can say, "I have been through that and look where I am now," it gives people hope!

I can hardly believe that boy is going to be 17 years old tomorrow!  What a challenge - what a gift - he has been!  I wouldn't trade a second of it (well maybe a second).  But I have also enjoyed the privilege of watching him become such an amazing young man.  God has blessed him and grown him through so many things already.  I am excited to see where this life takes him.


No comments:

Post a Comment