Thursday, April 3, 2014

Life Lessons I Learned in the Garden

Lesson # 2 Training New Growth


Every spring, our blackberries look like a jungle!  The new growth from last year has fallen all over the place, and has rooted in the mulch and on the ground.  Last years canes have died and need to be cut away, and the new growth must be trained to grow along the trellis.


It's always fun to figure out how to arrange the canes.  Jerry is the master vine artist here!


I love the way the vines look after they have been pinned up!


The ends of the canes love to root in the wood chips we have under the vines.  Thankfully, we have plastic under the chips, so the new plants are easy to pull up.


Now I have buckets of new plants to share.  This year, I have 4 buckets full of new blackberry plants!

As I grow, I also need to prune away the old and train the new growth.  Just like our blackberry plants, my new growth that is not trained can become like a jungle.  I have a tendency to be enthusiastic, and sometimes all over the place!  It is only by staying in the Word and making sure that my new growth lines up with Truth, that I can be sure to become a beautiful piece of garden art, woven into the plan by the Master Vine Artist.  If my new growth is trained correctly, I will not only be beautiful, I will also produce good fruit!  Often, where my new growth touches down in fertile soil, it will take root in the lives of others!  How exciting to be a part of creating new life!

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.
Colossians 1:9-10







No comments:

Post a Comment