Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Search

I was very busy the other day, so when I needed the phone book from the other room, I sent one of the kids to get it for me.  “The phone book is on the third shelf down, on the bookshelf in the office,” I instructed.  It wasn’t but a moment later when he came back to report that he couldn’t find it.  “Are you sure,” I asked, puzzled.  “I am sure that I saw it there.  

“Nope,” he replied, “Couldn’t find it.”  I hopped up quickly to check for myself and, sure enough, there was the phone book, exactly as I had described.  “Oh,” he said sheepishly, “I didn’t see it”
 
Why is it that two people can look in the same place for the same thing, and one can see it while the other seems hopelessly blind?  Could it be that the success of the search depends upon the heart of the one searching?  Is it possible that motive can actually determine the outcome of a hunt?
 
Perhaps this is the very reason that many people can read the very same passage of Scripture, yet only a few come away with a valuable nugget of wisdom that changes the path of their lives.  Though the words were the same, those that read the passage with a heart that was truly searching for the wisdom, found a treasure that went unseen by others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment